Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul, Apostles  

Posted by siouxbhoney

I was given two choices for readings today, the one we are gonna use, which is the Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul, Apostles, or Memorial of Saint Irenaeus, bishop and martyr. Frankly, I only chose this one because I like the book of Acts so much.


Because it is a special day, we have three readings.



So, first reading: Acts 3:1-10


What a great story. First of all, like I said before, I love the Book of Acts. I love the movement, ministries, and mysticism of the first Christians. I love that the miracles didn't end with Jesus or the old testament.


So the beggar hangs out by the temple, and asks people for money, and Peter doesn't have any money, so he gives him something much better. He heals this guy's disability. (I suspect that he would have healed him even if he did have some cash one him.) He gives him the ability to walk, in the name of Jesus Christ. Technically, I suppose a priest or a theologian would answer me that Jesus healed this guy through Peter. But the narrative goes on, after the beggar's celebration and thanks giving, to describe how it affected the people at the temple, who knew this crippled man and witnessed a true miracle. What a gift from God that was for everybody there, to be able to see something so undeniable. It still must have been pretty confusing.


On to the next one! Galatians 1:11-20


So, I haven't read a lot of Galatians, the letters are hard for me to get through, but I do like what a hard case Paul could be. It seems here though, Paul is establishing his legitimacy to preach. It's almost like the lineage of his knowledge. I imagine him speaking this clearly and firmly, showing you that there can be no real argument to what he is about to say. I love the emphasis that he didn't need to consult man. He listened to God, and immediately went to go and preach in Arabia. I wonder if he was actually avoiding Damascus and Jerusalem, until he could get his reputation and his relationship with God settled as a true Christian, before he went to go and face the people that he had previously persecuted and confer with Cephas. It turns out that Cephas was one of the names of Peter. Who decides or decided what bible readings go with each day or occasion? Whoever you are, good job bringing this one home, guys. I know, I know, I haven't provided any insight on this one, but it seems to be pretty straightforward to me.

Last reading. It's kinda like a Sunday, huh? John 21:15-19



After reading the footnotes (New American Bible) attached to this, I realized that I could only parrot them, so I'll just reproduce them for you here. Yes, it may very well be lazy, but its also much better than anything I'm gonna say on my own.


For the whole reading, it says this: "This section constitutes Peter's rehabilitation and emphasizes his role in the church."


For verses 15-17, where Jesus is asking Peter if he loves him, and wants him to take care of his sheep: "In these three verses there is a remarkable variety of synonyms: two different Greek verbs for love (see the note on John 15:13); two verbs for feed/tend; two nouns for sheep; two verbs for know. But apparently there is no difference of meaning. The threefold confession of Peter is meant to counteract his earlier threefold denial (John 18:17, 25, 27). The First Vatican Council cited these verses in defining that Jesus after his resurrection gave Peter the jurisdiction of supreme shepherd and ruler over the whole flock."



For just verse 15, where Jesus asks "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" , the footnotes read: "More than these: probably "more than these disciples do" rather than "more than you love them" or "more than you love these things [fishing, etc.]."


Last, the story at verse 18 about growing old: "Originally probably a proverb about old age, now used as a figurative reference to the crucifixion of Peter."


I gotta tell you, I love a lot of of footnotes.



So, news of the day, Huh? I like this one: Mendel called model for balancing science, faith

This entry was posted on 6/27/08 at 4:41 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment